Foretelling Doom

Robot parrots chirp, demanding digital grains. The roar of driverless vehicles, systematically racing along Serangoon road. Uncle Muthu continues his family legacy of fortune-telling, this time with much accuracy, and without all the gimmicks and mystery of traditional astrology. His machine parrots predict the next course of human action, reaction and disposition with 90% accuracy. The other 10% he owes to fate, luck and the Goddess Durga, divided equally that is. Thanks to facial-body recognition digital software and hardware, tourists are awed by the predictions. Ahs and Ooos. Too much money to spend la! He says. The day Singapore loses our tourists, we all Mati la! He goes back into sleep mode, soaking up the raging solar of Little India and its mad inhabitants.

Elancharan Gunasekaran is a multidisciplinary artist and poet. He has a strange love for all things poetical and Sci-Fi. A winner of the Montblanc X Esquire Six-word Story prize 2017. His latest publications are Superatomicluminal (Hesterglock Press, UK), Gods of the Gonzo (Analog Submission Press, UK), The Cosmosnaut Manifesto (UndergroundBooks, New York), Sleeping with Wildflowers (Alien Buddha Press, Arizona/New York), Deviant Flames and Dark Revolver (Roman Books, India/UK). @elancharang and medium.com/@elancharang

See more of his work in 7.1